Challenge Description:Using images taken by middle school students through the ISS EarthKAM program, create an educational application that allows users to overlay EarthKAM images on a 3D model of earth, annotate and comment on the images, and share their work via social media. This application can be web based or designed as a mobile application for an Android device.Functional Specifications:Minimum features: Note: depending on what 3D earth model platform you choose to use, some of the features below may already be available. Google Earth, for instance, has lat-long search capability.
- Sponsored by NASA, ISS (International Space Station) EarthKAM (Earth Knowledge Acquired by Middle school students) is an educational outreach program that allows middle school students to capture images of Earth from a digital camera on board the International Space Station.
- Students from around the world select areas on the Earth’s surface and send image requests to the ISS EarthKAM Mission Operations Center. Images of the target areas are sent back from the ISS and made available in the Images section of the ISS EarthKAM website. Students can use the images to study geographic features, erosion, population growth, and many other subjects.
- Take this educational experience to the next level by allowing users to interact with these images.
Possible Additional Features:
- Interactive 3D model of the Earth
- Ability to overlay ISS EarthKAM images onto the model based on the associated latitude and longitude information of each image
- Allow images to be annotated within the application
- Allow users to generate notes on each of their images. These notes can be kept private or shared.
- Latitude- and longitude-based search Ability to use a sliding time scale to show various images of the same location taken over time (for example, to allow students to see the effects of global warming, water usage, shore erosion, and population growth over many years)
- Show 3D terrain, gravity overlay, pollution, geographic features, etc.
- Incorporate a real-time weather map
- Allow flyby of selected terrain (e.g., Google Earth)
- Allow social media features to share images, notes, flybys, and comments on images (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Allow users to rate images
- Allow users to search for key landmarks and identify individual landmarks (e.g., my town, my school)
- Ability to determine scale of images and distance between locations
- Integration with ISS EarthKAM website to make image requests
- Ability to show images that were taken at the same spot the ISS is currently over
- Build in avatar support for users
- Auto-identify countries, cities, states, rivers, and other features in the image
ISS EarthKAM Galleryhttp://images.earthkam.ucsd.edu
Image data: For each image, here is a sample of data types that are displayed on the Web page:
1 Photo ID
2 List of schools that requested the photo
3 Time the photo was taken in GMT/UTC
4 Lens size
6 Frame width
7 Frame height
8 Nadir latitude/longitude
9 Center latitude/longitude
10 Corner latitude/longitude
The following projects are solving this challenge:
Space compas directions is a tool that functions like GPS and compass directions as a guide that would be in outer space. with these tools the astronauts will not get lost in space. Visit Project
You will be able to see the earth from space. Visit Project
Database EFS (Earth From Space)
The follows are my supports: - Database optimized - Recursive Functions - New Data Structures. - PLSQL Development. Thanks. Visit Project
Using images taken by middle school students through the ISS EarthKAM program, create an educational application that allows users to overlay EarthKAM images on a 3D model of earth, annotate and comment on the images, and share their work via social media. This application can be web based or des... Visit Project
Web Mapping of Emergency Service Provider inside Ring Road Kathmandu
Kathmandu emergency services in web map Visit Project
Using images taken by middle school students through the ISS EarthKAM program. Visit Project
INTERACTIVE WEATHER MAP - AN EDUCATIONAL GAME PORTAL
build a tool to integrate the nasa pics with google earth so that those pics can have more educational value. Visit Project
EarthKAM Image Quiz & 3D Model
A portal to help students identify and get familiar with ISS images. TECHNOLOGIES USED (1) XAMPP SERVER; (2) PHP 3.0; (3) GOOGLE EARTH APIs; (4) NOTEPAD ++; (5) ISS EARTHKAM DATABASE Visit Project
[!(https://raw.github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/EarthKAMExplorer/master/doc/EarthKAMBanner.png)](http://cesiumspaceapp.cloudapp.net/) Use [Chrome](http://www.google.com/chrome/) or [Firefox](http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) to run: [!(https://raw.github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsI... Visit Project